For the record, we have a name already. DH is the fourth to have this family name, and it is a good name. John Benjamin. Good, solid. I like it. There was never a second thought that our little boy would take his father's name. JBR V. Perfect. See...the letters are already up in the room, I can't possibly change it now, not that I would (relax honey).
So a couple of weeks ago, we go to this function where I run into a family friend that tells me how excited my inlaws are that we are pregnant, that grandpa is super excited that we are having a boy and he is going to be John Benjamin. Yes, I am the best daughter-in-law in the world thankyouverymuch. I try hard. She tells me that FIL, who goes by Jack, said that he is going to call the baby "Jack" no matter what. I laugh, "Hahaha. His name is John Benjamin the fifth, and I have been calling him Johnny, but we'll see what we call him. We can go with Johnny, or Ben, or Jack. But I've been calling him Johnny. We'll see. Hahaha." End of conversation. No big deal.
The next day, I tell DH about this conversation. He says, "Oh, yeah. I don't like Johnny."
WHAT?
For eight months I have been calling the baby Johnny. Eight months. Outloud. DH has heard me and has NEVER said anything, which I've interpreted that I have permission to bond with "Johnny". I even mentioned it at the baby shower that we are having a boy, he will be John Benjamin the fifth and we've been calling him Johnny. What was DH waiting for? The baby to be 4 years old before he mentioned the name? Are you serious?
Here is the deal: I like the name Jack. I always thought that if we were to have a boy, he'd be JBR V and we'll call him Jack, but when it actually happened to us, Johnny just felt right. If DH would have mentioned not liking Johnny eight months ago, I wouldn't be typing this now. EIGHT MONTHS!!!
He had some good arguments.
- Our last name is short and can sound generic paired up with John. True.
- It will be hard to transition from Johnny to John when he gets older. Johnny will stick longer than we'd like, or he'd like. True.
- We both like Jack. True.
I've been thinking about it ever since. This has not been easy. I've concluded that I am not going to stress over it...after all, we have a name; John Benjamin. Once he is born, his nickname will come to us, I'm sure, so I am not going to sweat it. In the meantime, is there anything else I need to know, honey? Speak now, or forever hold your peace!
So I type up this story because it is just one more "funny" thing that happened along our journey. One day, little Johnny, or whatever his name will be, will look back and say, "I'm glad you went with _____." Or maybe he'll say, "I like _______ better." Oh, nothing is easy! It would be weird if it was. Hahaha!


I think the John/Jack/Johnny thing will work itself out when you meet him! :) Good attitude!
ReplyDeleteI just left you a Liebster Blog award!
Isn't that just like a guy! My parents had a similar fight with my name (whether to call me Kate or Katie) and now my mom ends up calling me Tina.
ReplyDeleteI hope your nickname situation works out more reasonably! :)
So...not to totally destroy your DH's argument, but I know an almost 40 yr old man, and father of two who still goes by Johnny....just sayin ;)
ReplyDeleteYou're right though, your lil man will decide for himself.
CS: I'm sure it will all work out :) Thanks for the Liebster Blog award! Makes me feel good...
ReplyDeleteKatie: Ha ha! Thanks for the chuckle!
go for the name JAY !
ReplyDeleteI've given you the Liebster Award! Check out my blog for details!
ReplyDelete8 months and no mention of not like Johnny! Hahaha... such a guy! :)
ReplyDeleteGoodness! Why on earth didn't he speak up sooner??
ReplyDeleteSometimes husbands act so weird! Whether he is Johnny or Jack, he is going to be loved so much by both of you! I am so excited that you are going to meet your sweet little one in a few weeks. I still cannot believe how quickly the months have gone by.. Praying for you and the little one.
ReplyDeleteAnd... I just gave you a Liebster Award. Not really sure what it is... but now it's yours. Check out my blog for details. :) And no pressure to pass it on.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe your hubby didn't say anything earlier. That would have been something I'd have said right away. Its love, right? :-)
ReplyDeleteSuch a great thing that you are passing on the tradition of the name! Perhaps an original nickname will surface, too ... but I'm sure its hard to stop calling him Johnny now!
Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome. artificial turf abu dhabi
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
ReplyDeletebed without headboard