Mush Brain = My brain after pregnancy. I can't remember ANYTHING.
I can't even remember which booby JB nursed on last. I have been writing it down so that I don't get engorged. Seriously. I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached.
I forget everything. I've been a little preoccupied lately, so if I don't write down what is on my mind, it will be forgotten - 100%. You can bet on it.
But NOTHING can top what happened today.
My MIL is in town for a week to visit the baby. Today she was over when I remembered that I was supposed to make cupcakes for our parish St. Patrick's Day Party (St. Patrick is our patron saint so we celebrate his feast day even though it is Lent). So, first I forgot that I was supposed to make cupcakes, but that is the least of my worries. I asked my husband to go get cupcake mix from the store, but my MIL volunteered to go since she had to go anyway. Great. She also volunteered to help make them since I was ironing the linens for church (another thing I forgot to do and needed to do before the 5pm Mass).
So here we are in the kitchen: I'm ironing, MIL making cupcakes and DH taking care of JB. Everything was going fine, until....
At 4pm, I was done ironing the linens so I decided to run them over to the church. I'll be back in a few minutes.
Get ready, here it comes.
Our driveway is curved and since we have only a single car garage, the driveway is really only big enough for one car, but we squeeze my SUV and DH's car into the space. We both have to wind our way out of the driveway when we back out, I have more of a dramatic turn than my husband does based on how the drive curves. My MIL parked her BMW behind my husband's car.
As I was leaving, she said, "Don't hit my car on your way out. Do you want to take my car?"
I said, "No. I'll be careful." Then I left.
It took me 15 seconds to get in my car, look in my rear view mirror and see nothing (because of the curve), gun it and crash my Cadillac into my MIL's BMW.
Yes, you read that correctly.
I rammed my Cadillac SUV into my MIL's BMW.
I didn't gently roll and dent her car. I smashed it....hard.
My rear passenger side is jacked. Her entire driver side is toast.
I am amazed her door still opens up.
Within FIFTEEN SECONDS I forgot that her car was there and I ran it over.
Who does that? Who has a conversation and 15 seconds later completely forgets it and does the very thing you didn't want to do. How does that happen? If I was older, we'd call this dementia. But I'm not older. I have mush brain. That is my only defense as I jumped out of the car screaming "I'm sorry!"
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am taking the cake. I'm claiming the prize. Biggest Mush Brain Event goes to ME!
Thank you, thank you very much.
Then, to top it all off, as I went to change JB's diaper one last time before we leave for the St. Patrick's Day Party, I took his diaper off and he pee'd on me.
I surrender. I surrender and offer it all up for my prayer buddy.
Thank God it is time to go to bed.


Oh dear! This is true mush brain. And, believe it or not this will be a funny family story ONE DAY.
ReplyDeleteGood news is: you have two great cars in your family; someone who can make last minute cupcakes; and a great husband to watch over it all.
Did you get the linens to the church?
UGH...were you able to go to drop off the cupcakes in the end?
Sounds like there is a part II to the story.
I seriously can't believe that you didn't just have her run to a bakery or store bakery and BUY cupcakes.
Showing me once again that so many of you are just so much MORE DEDICATED than I.
Goodness, I would have called a bakery close the church and arranged to have them deliver cupcakes to the Church FOR ME.
After my babe was born,,,I use to tell myself...I can only DO one extra errand type thingy a day, i.e., pick up creamer, or drop off library books. Even if I had the energy to do more I would force myself to reduce it to one for the exact reason you mention...
I was a danger to humanity if I tried to "do more."
Love this post.
Yes, I did get the linens and cupcakes to the church in time. You are right; one day we will all laugh. We are actually laughing about it now. It's the only way to deal!
DeleteI forgot about that mush brain!!!! Lol. Not laughing at you but with you!
ReplyDeleteIt gets better ;)-
Oh man, that stinks!!! I have mush brain too :) I was a pretty good multi tasker before M was born, but now it seems I start stuff and don't finish. It's like I run around doing things around the house, get distracted and forget what I was doing, then see that I only started to do laundry but never started the washer! I hope it gets better!
ReplyDeleteWhat's worse is when I do start the washer but forget to move the wet clothes into the drier...for a day or two! I've done that a few times. Haha...I'm not alone :)
DeleteOh no! I hate that. It sounds like you are trying to do a little too much. I was that way with my first and had to learn to say no and scale back with commitments. You will be less stressed and rushed and more focused. I know easier said than done! :)
ReplyDeleteOh no! That is a great story, that I agree your family will laugh about together one day ;) Mush brain does get better, but it is bad in the beginning! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. Kinda funny story though!
ReplyDeleteOh boy. Please know you are not alone. That actually reminds me of something I did shortly after Dominc was born. I backed our car into the garage door which was closed behind me. I forgot to open it and even though I looked and saw it wasn't open, got distracted for a second and forgot. But maybe this will make you feel better, I backed into my MILs car once, way before I was even married. I must have permanent pregnancy brain!
ReplyDeleteI'm finding out that this is more common than you'd think. However, the story is always funnier when it happens to someone else right! Good grief :S
DeleteO brother....I feel ya, whats up with the mush brain! I hope your MIL was ok with you smashing her car!! hehe- ok, sorry, but it us hard not to laugh at the total shut down of our brains!!! So sorry though, what a headache now to repair!
ReplyDeleteI had similar experience today with DH- we have a double garage and my DH opened up the wrong one and drove my car (he was driving mine) right threw the CLOSED garage! mild dent on my car and garage needs repair..DH's get mush brain too!
Haha...I'm not alone and kind of like that the opposite sex has mush brain too! I'm laughing with you guys, not at you, of course!
DeleteI dont' know you but let me make one thing insanely easy for you...forget trying to remember which side you nursed on. Just give them a gentle squeeze or poke before you start and start on the side that's harder! The softer side is where you last nursed! IT really is that easy...even if my hubby laughs a little. A good friend taught me that trick and boy am I glad!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I do that sometimes but it doesn't always work for me. Seems like righty is an over achiever...sometimes. I'm sure it will get easier!
Deleteooooo so sorry! I have the same problems and I think it's really hard to remember which side I nursed on - I squeeze, too, like fertility plus said. ha. Sometimes I still can't tell. :-/ I tried putting a rubberband on my wrist and switching it each time I feed her but nope, I forget to move the rubberband. Sigh. Hopeless. haha.
ReplyDeleteI've done both: the squeeze and rubberband. I agree, the squeeze doesnt' always work for me, and I forget to move my rubberband. Go figure! Ha ha!
DeleteOh, MHE this was so funny. :) I'm sorry about your cars, but it sure was a good laugh!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found the humor in it!
DeleteHysterical!! I have been thinking about this post since I read it the other day, sorry it took me this long to comment. Yep, I got mush brain over here as well. It was so great seeing you last weekend, hopefully, it won't be another year before we see each other again. :)
ReplyDeleteIt was great seeing you too! I pray you got your voice back ;)
DeleteOh no! Backing into a car has to be the worst feeling in the world ... let alone your MIL's car.
ReplyDeleteI will believe from now on about pregnancy / baby brain. :-)
Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
ReplyDeletehigh headboard bed frame